Re: [Outreachy] You can use "Team upload" (Was: r22074 - in trunk/packages/conservation-code/trunk/debian: . tests)

Hi Tanya,

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 02:15:31PM +0300, merlettaia wrote:
> I finally found out what was wrong :)

:-)

> > I do not think that the VM is to be blamed for this kind of error.
> >
> This strange behavior originated because of VM settings - by default I
> used '775' mounting mode for folders - when my VM loaded files from svn, it
> applied by default these permissions to files (and allowed execution for
> files in debian directory). That's why this issue was totally
> unreproducible. Hope this information helps someone :)

Thanks for sharing your observation.  BTW, I removed executable permissions
from the files in debian/tests.

> And thank you for providing you sequence of commands for running package,
> it helped.
>
> I updated tests for conservation-code and applied quilt patch to upstream
> to make everything work when alignment matrix not found. Please check it.

See below.

> I start working on dssp now.

Fine.

> When I read your letter to Canberk, I noticed this:
>
> > I admit I *always* try to design the tests that it can be run manually
> on the local machine.  I also usually install the tests into
>    /usr/share/doc/<packagename>
> >and add a README.test there to inform users how they can test the
> package manually.  This serves in most cases as an informative example
> how to use the software.
>
> - is it necessary to add README.test to conservation-code,

It s not necessary but I'm just doing this as something which I regard
an extra comfort for our users (and to remember myself how I can test a
package).

> and if it is,
> where can I find package with a good example of this file? Are there any
> special rules for it (i.e., it must be written in markdown, etc.)?

Its fully free text and I turned conservation-code itself into an
example by simply providing it. :-)  Please note that the second test
does not run successfully:

/usr/share/doc/conservation-code $ sh non-default-params-test
Checking alignment matrix file usage
Could not load similarity matrix: /usr/share/conservation-code/matrix/blosum63.bla. Using identity matrix...
Checking distribution file usage
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/conservation-code/distributions/swissprot1.distribution' Using default (BLOSUM62) background.

> Speaking about "concavity" - how long we should wait for author's response
> before resolving it without that response?

If you ask me I'd rather fix it sooner than later.  I think fixing it
now and switching to official upstream changes later is a sensible thing
to do.  It non-free files are involved we are risking that the package
will be removed fully from Debian.