Re: SSPACE (Was: RFS: ariba)

Hi Andreas,

>>> WARNING: sspace not found in path. Looked for
>>> SSPACE_Basic_v2.0.pl. But it is optional so will be skipped
>>> during assembly
>>
>> Yes, I have talked to ARIBA upstream (we're conveniently sharing
>> the same office) and this is fine to skip; it's not really clear
>> whether using it leads to significant improvement of the results.
>
> OK.  I've uploaded ariba to new.

Thanks! Let's hope I will be able to upload updates by myself when it
hits the archive ;)

>>> I noticed that there is sspace 2.1.1 at
>>>
>>> https://github.com/nsoranzo/sspace_basic/releases
>>>
>>> which claims to be GPL
>>
>> After a quick talk with Martin I'd be careful to check that license
>> and the repo's owner's affiliation with the SSPACE authors... from
>> what we know SSPACE (owned by Baseclear) has never been free.
>> That's why it was made optional in ARIBA in the first place, along
>> with GapFiller (also not free, same situation).
>
> I personally can not tell how important SSPACE and GapFiller might
> be but may be we should send another "please free your software mail"

Maybe we should... unless the repo you linked above is indeed 'the free
SSPACE version'. I noticed it said 'SSPACE basic' while the Baseclear
link below read 'SSPACE standard' -- so maybe there's a functionality
delta between the free and non-free versions that makes all the difference.

>>> I wonder how important sspace would be for ariba packaging and
>>> whether I should have a take at 2.1.1 with my current local
>>> files.
>>
>> As I said, it's not important and skipping it is fine and it has
>> been discussed with ARIBA's upstream. If you want you can take a
>> shot at SSPACE basic from that GitHub repo, but if it was me
>> packaging it I would probably try to confirm the license as GPL
>> with the original authors (Boetzer and Pirovano).
>
> Hmmmm, since you are obviously pretty well informed could you assume
> it would be you who intends to package the Github version and ask
> upstream perhaps a better informed question than I could do?

I can see to it, but have other things on my agenda atm. It's on my list
now though :)

Best wishes
Sascha