Re: Please provide source code for Tandem Repeats Finder under a freely redistributable license

Dear Yozen,

As a research software engineer who works with sequencing analysis
researchers I join Andreas in asking you to release Tandem Repeat
Finder under a free license.

I see that you have been funded with NSF grants, that is great!
However, to treat the public ethically, the software should be free—as
in freedom—for the whole public. This means the freedom to read the
source code so that they may understand it better, the freedom to
modify the source code so that they may improve upon it, and the
freedom to redistribute the source code and their modifications so
that they may share bug fixes and new features.

Many researchers actively avoid non-open-source software, see a
discussion from my previous boss C. Titus Brown:
http://ivory.idyll.org/blog/2015-on-licensing-in-bioinformatics.html
under "Why avoid non-open-source software?"

One of the many benefits I have enjoyed with releasing my software
under a free or open source license is the improvements I get from
other users.

TRF is widely used, as I'm sure you know. Unlike most software that
has been written it has shown to be useful. Sharing the source code
provides a path to sustainability should you decide to dedicate your
time to other projects or if you are not able to continue maintaining
the codebase.

I hope you take my letter into consideration. If you have any
questions about licensing I would be happy to answer them.

This is not an obligation to run a community based open source
project, we're just asking for the right to further redistribute your
work (with prominent attribution!) so that more people can use it.

Cheers,

--
Michael R. Crusoe
Community Engineer & Co-founder