OpenAPS as in Artificial Pancreas System

Today, a link on LinuxToday.net brought me to an OSCON video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQGWrdgu_fE

by Dana Lewis and her middleware

https://github.com/openaps/openaps

to assemble a bunch of off-the shelf components to establish a feedback
loop to control blood sugar levels.

Their philosophy is that to comply with FDA regulations the device
should not be sold, it is up to the individuals and their parents to
establish it all, on their very own responsibility this means.

I am tempted to just go and package it. At the same time, any stupid
problem with anything (not necessarily within OpenAPS itself) could have
severe consequences, which includes death or brain damage. On the other
hand, especially the continuous integration checking of Debian is
helpful to spot some library inconsistencies upfront. There is also the
possibility to only offer the package in unstable (with an artificial RC
bug to prevent a migration to testing), so we could for instance offer
the continuous integration only and motivate the development of
respective tests by the community and see how things develop.

So, how do you feel? Should we duck or cover it?

Best,

Steffen