Re: fails to build against htslib 1.3.1

Hi,

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 11:03:36AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I don't understand however why bug is not fixed or lowered yet.
>
> [0]https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=822701

What I do not understand if I read inside the bug report

> This seems to happen with every htslib upgrade in the past few releases.
> bcftools builds have also been breaking as a result and I was a little
> confused. Aren't backwards-compatibility breaks supposed to be indicated
> by soname bumps? Or is this because samtools, bcftools, and htslib are
> all maintained by the same group, so they rely on the unstable internal
> interfaces?

that developers of quite important libs (important in terms of breaking
about 20 packages - probably way more unpackaged software) are not able
to craft a reliable interface.  I wonder whether we should try to
explain them the trouble they are creating with their release management
and whether we should upload any new version to experimental first and
test other packages against it.