Re: Packaging Python extensions and applications

On 13/04/16 17:37, Julien Lamy wrote:
Dear all,
While preparing the package of the new upstream release of Odil, I had a
couple of questions regarding the packaging of Python extensions and
applications. I've read the Debian Python Policy and the Python Style
Guides on wiki.debian.org, but I'm not sure my current solution (cf.
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/odil.git/tree/debian) is
correct, although Lintian does not complain.

To recap, Odil is a C++ 11 library, now with Python wrappers using
Boost.Python; no pure Python code appear in the wrappers, only the C++
extension. A CLI tool has also been added, in pure Python, using the
wrappers. I've created two new packages: python-odil for the wrappers,
and odil for the application. I'm wondering about the following points:

1. The current package is Python 2 only. Should I work on Python 3
compatibility, or could the package stay as Python 2 only (for now)?

Python 3 compatibility would be nice to have at some point, since
Python 2 has an expiration date.

2. I'm getting a warning regarding ${python:Depends}: since everything
works and I'm build-depending on libboost-python-dev, I've ignored it.
Are my dependencies correct?

You can have a look at opengm, which provides similar bindings via
Boost.Python.

3. The CLI application is split in multiple files: I've copied what dput
(https://sources.debian.net/src/dput/0.9.6.4/) is doing (main script in
usr/bin and other files in usr/share/odil, postinst and prerm to handle
bytecode). Is this OK, or is there a better way to do it?

Sounds ok to me. Can you run the application successfully with this
setup?

Ghis