Re: [MoM] Fwd: Outreachy project (CI for all biological applications inside Debian)

Hi Tanya,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 08:26:17AM +0300, merlettaia wrote:
> My name is Tatiana Malygina, I'm another girl from Russia, who wants to
> help with writing tests for biological applications in Debian =)

I admit I'm really happy to get several competent students for this
project since when I was registering it I was afraid that nobody would
sign on.

> For Andreas: me and Ann were in the same study group in university, and
> actually we are friends. But out experience in bioinformatics and our
> primary research areas differ - that's why I want something structural
> bioinformatics-related as starting packaging project.
> For example, project from this list would be great:  dssp, Concavity,
> bio3d, ncols, norsnet, visualization (PyMol, garlic, ...) or

Regarding PyMol:  We also need to get the new upstream version of PyMol
(1.8) build for Debian.  I remember there were some issues in building
it.

> docking-related (autodock, autodock-vina, racoon, etc.). If I'm not a
> perfect candidate for outreachy internship, I would like to help with
> packaging for these tools as a volunteer - with some of them (I mean
> docking software) I had no prior experience, and for me it is a great
> chance to obtain it (and a motivation to finally read docking-related
> articles).

I have the hope that we might get even two students since there is
outreachy program and Google summer of code.  No idea whether this works
- but from my perspective we have tasks even for two students. ;-)

For sure any volunteer is welcome as well and the Mentoring of Month
project is open for anybody.  So getting some packaging training should
be granted.

> I've created account on alioth (username - latticetower-guest), I also like
> git.

latticetower-guest is now member of the Debian Med team and has commit
permissions.  I'm also busy to migrate those packages from SVN to Git
which I consider sensible candidates for creating a test suite (recently
I moved stacks and exonerate - feel free to ask me for moving others).

If you are interested in Garlic I noticed that the packaging is in a
quite old fashioned state.  We could negotiate with DebiChem team what
might be the best way to enhance the packaging (either you will get
commit permission to their VCS and we move it into their Git or we take
it over into Debian Med team.  Its also lacking a test suite.  Just let
us know where you would like to start.