Re: Sponsoring request: odil

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 05:10:53PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 06:21:18PM +0000, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > Also, can you please use signed tags?  with gbp is just a metter of
> > adding 'signed-tags = True' in ~/.gbp.conf :)
>
> If we would like to make this the default in the Debian Med team this
> should be added to the policy.

My dreams a bigger: I'd like to see using a standardized git repository
for all packages in the archive mandatory, and usage of signed tags
mandatory too.
Then, this is Debian, I know something like that will likely never
happen anytime soon ;)

> I personally do not see any extra value
> by signed tags since what finally matters is a signed upload.  But if
> others think its a good idea I don't mind.

I'd like to trust git repositories.  I'd like to be sure that a tag in a
git repository is *exactly* what has been uploaded to the archive.
Currently when I work out of git repository I don't know about I always
need to double-check whether what is in the repo is what is in the
archive, by `debuild -S` out of the repository and debdiff against
what's in the archive.  It's annoying.  I want to trust that a git tag
signed by a key I trust (let's assume I trust all of debian-keyring) is
enough by itself, and I don't need to double check anything.
Considering that I'm seeing git tags done just about randomly, and them
hardly matching what's uploaded, I think we're still far to go. [0]

The fact that DPMT moved to mandate git-dpm, when it doesn't even
support signed tags, doesn't help my evil plan :)

[0] To be clear, that's a general statement, I don't recall if what I
saw was in -med or somewhere else.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo