Re: Odil (previously DCMTK++) 0.4.0

Hi Julien,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 04:06:49PM +0100, Julien Lamy wrote:

> > I spended a bit more time in thinking about this.  IMHO it makes sense
> > to make the rename perfect by also renaming the Git repository.  If we
> > might stick to the old name that could become confusing in the future.
>
> That was my next point, once the package issues were sorted out. I agree
> with renaming the repo, it will simplify things in the future. Is a
> simple "mv dcmtkpp.git odil.git" on git.debian.org sufficient (provided
> debian/control is up-to-date)?

I just did the necessary stuff.  You also need to should edit the config
file in the bare git repository at git.debian.org to have consistent
commit messages.  Please point your local clone to

    ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/odil.git

> > Another reason is that there is no single package depending from the old
> > names so in practice we are not really doing a transition but in fact it
> > is a simple rename.
>
> Yes, I might have gone over the top considering the early age of the
> package. Should I remove the old packages from the current
> debian/control?

Yes.

> If so, how is the removal of the old packages from the
> unstable archive performed?

You file a bug

     reportbug other

select ftpmaster and ask for removal.  Its probably sensible to mention
that the new package is just a rename to have good chances that it passes
new quickly.  You can also ask for the removal of dcmtk++ *after* odil
was accepted.

> > The only thing what you need to do is to add
> >
> >    Conflicts / Provides
> >
> > fields also for the old names to make sure the packages will really
> > replace the possibly installed old named packages.
>
> Even if the old packages are removed from debian/control?

Yes.  To make sure that a user who has the old packages installed will
deinstall these.

> > Just tell me if my explanation was clear enough or whether I should
> > implement the changes I would do in Git for a demonstration.
>
> I'll try to do the modifications, and maybe come back with a few more
> questions :-)

You are welcome