Re: Debian Med usage or download stats

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015, tille@debian.org wrote:

>    http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#emboss

> Emboss seems to be the most frequently used package maintained by the
> Debian Med team.  We have no number of those users who are disabling
> popcon and also no numbers who are using derivatives like Ubuntu or
> BioLinux.  So the numbers listed at the tasks page are *minimum* numbers
> that might be significantly higher but we can not know.

On a related topic, since might be of interest.  For NeuroDebian we are
providing neurodebian-popularity-contest package (which evil us made all
packages in neurodebian archive dependent on, so would not fly as is for
debian proper), which installs

$> cat /etc/popularity-contest.d/neurodebian.conf
KEYRING="$KEYRING --keyring /usr/share/popularity-contest/neurodebian-popcon.gpg"
POPCONKEY="$POPCONKEY -r 0x544665CB8B48DE1D"
SUBMITURLS="$SUBMITURLS http://neuro.debian.net/cgi-bin/popcon-submit.cgi";

making popcon (if enabled on that box) report also to our popcon server
so we can collect stats from both (recent) debian and ubuntus:
http://neuro.debian.net/popularity.html#popularity-contest

so, similar setup I guess could be achieved for debian-med so you could
possibly get stats from biolinux and other derivatives if they encourage
installation of debian-med-popularity-contest or alike.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org