Qt 4.8.6 and/or Qt 5.3.2 for Debian Med packages

Hello!

I am jérôme from the FreeMedForms developers team. For those of you who
don't know our project, FreeMedForms is a set of GPLv3 licensed medical
applications written in C++ / Qt consisting primarily of an electronic
medical record, a prescription assistant and an interaction engine. The
creator and main developer of FreeMedForms, Eric Maeker, who usually
deals with Debian packaging, is away from keyboard for the next ten days.

As both Eric and I are developping on Debian Stable, all our
dependencies are based on current Debian Stable packages. We try to use
only Debian Stable versions of libraries, dependencies or external
applications, even for other non Debian-based (or even non GNU/Linux
based) operating systems.

We are trying to gradually phase off Qt 4.8.6 to move on to Qt 5.3.2. At
the moment our code is entirely compatible with both Qt 4.8.6 and Qt
5.3.2. It is using only one Qt5 specific library for password hashing
but it can automatically use a Qt 4.8.6 hashing function instead if it
is running on a sytem with Qt 4.8.6.

Maintaining code compatible with both versions of Qt while advancing our
project will become extremely time consuming and mind boggling. We don't
know of any individual or organisation running FreeMedForms that
requires the use of Qt4.8.6 instead of Qt5.3.2. On Debian Stable
switching from Qt4 to Qt5 is as easy as sudo apt-get install
qt5-default. Our applications work seamlessly when doing this switch
from 4 to 5 on Debian Jessie (but it is a one way switch, password
hashes are changed in database, if user goes back to Qt4 there will be
user credentials problems).

What are the current requirements for a Debian Med package concerning
Qt? Can we switch to Qt5.3.2 only while still meeting Debian and
Debian-Med quality standards?

We have just released FreeMedForms 0.9.6 source code package and we will
be glad to start working as soon as possible on the new Debian Med
package because the current package (version 0.9.4) has a nasty bug
which prevents its installation with MySQL server. Only the SQLite
single user installation is working.

Thank you.

Jérôme Pinguet
www.freemedforms.com