Re: king debian pkg (2.21.120420-2, 2.21.120420+dfsg-1) questions

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your patience.

I am trying to reach the mailing list by simply replying to all in your emails -- is this not working?  I haven't yet formally joined the mailing list.

The mentor packaging program sounds great!  Yes! Thank you!

I am trying to reach one of the authors of King to discuss various parts of this especially the jogl patching.

Once again thank you and the community for your help, and volunteer efforts.

Best,

Michael

Michael G. Prisant

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Michael,

somehow your mails seem not reach the mailing list archive :-(

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:15:57PM -0400, Michael Prisant wrote:
> Thanks Andreas,
>
> I am reading the source package file contents:
>
> king_2.21.120420+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
>
> to try to understand the build process and patches.

May be there is no real need to check and understand king since I due to
your explanation I now understood that the projects you are requesting
for packaging are actually separate projects delivered in separate
tarballs and thus not part of the king source (except I missed
something).

> More questions later in
> the meantime probe and suitename info:
>
> 1. probe versions:
>
> executable for version 2.12.070830 is packaged with developer linux binary
> tarball
>
> source for version 2.13.110909 is available from:
> http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/downloads/software/probe/probe.2.13.110909.src.zip
>

> I have modified the linux makefile to allow compilation (see attached)
>
> Current or bleeding edge source
>
> https://codeload.github.com/rlabduke/probe/zip/master
> has the recently modified version

Besides my remarks I made this morning concerning the name of this
project I wonder whether you would like to learn some packaging in a
Mentoring of the Month project[1].  My feeling is that it is quite a
simple package you could design by copying large chunks from suitename
which I finalised and uploaded to the Debian new queue.  You could
easily learn how to craft Debian packages and the example seems to be a
good candidate.

> 2. suitename versions:
>
> executable for version 0.3.070628 is packaged with developer linux binary
> tarball
>
> source for this version is available from:
>
> http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/downloads/software/suitename/suitename.0.3.070628.src.tgz
>
> This compiles for me using the unmodified linux makefile
>
> Current or bleeding edge source
>
> https://codeload.github.com/rlabduke/suitename/zip/master
> has the recently modified version

As said today morning:  Feel free to contact the authors to add
release tags.  For the moment I have uploaded the package to
the Debian new queue.  All relevant information is displayed on
our Debian Med task page[2].

Feel free to ask if you have any remaining questions.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[2] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#suitename