Re: king debian pkg (2.21.120420-2, 2.21.120420+dfsg-1) questions

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:15:57PM -0400, Michael Prisant wrote:
> I am reading the source package file contents:
>
> king_2.21.120420+dfsg-1.debian.tar.xz
>
> to try to understand the build process and patches. More questions later in
> the meantime probe and suitename info:

OK.

> 1. probe versions:
>
> executable for version 2.12.070830 is packaged with developer linux binary
> tarball
>
> source for version 2.13.110909 is available from:
> http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/downloads/software/probe/probe.2.13.110909.src.zip

Ahh, this rather seems to be a project separately from king but shipped
from the same group of authors at Richardson Lab:

    http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/software/probe.php

So its not astonishing that it is not part of the king package.  From a
very short look it seems to be easy to package.  From its topic it might
be more fit for the DebiChem project[1].  According to your opinion: To
which of the listed tasks this package would fit best?

I could quickly craft some packaging in Git or SVN (at your preference)
but we should decide for a better name than just "probe".  This name is
to generic.  The binary /usr/bin/probe is even taken in Debian by the
package mirmon.  Could you suggest a better name perhaps by finding some
senisible prefix?

> I have modified the linux makefile to allow compilation (see attached)

Thanks, I'll check this.

> Current or bleeding edge source
>
> https://codeload.github.com/rlabduke/probe/zip/master
> has the recently modified version

I usually tend to package released versions.  If you could convince the
authors to add release tags we could consider packaging based on those
released code from github.

> 2. suitename versions:
>
> executable for version 0.3.070628 is packaged with developer linux binary
> tarball
>
> source for this version is available from:
>
> http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/downloads/software/suitename/suitename.0.3.070628.src.tgz

The homepage is

   http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/software/suitename.php

and this looks like a natural Debian Med target.

> This compiles for me using the unmodified linux makefile

Sounds good and seems easy to package as well.

> Current or bleeding edge source
>
> https://codeload.github.com/rlabduke/suitename/zip/master
> has the recently modified version

Same as above:  Please convince the authors to add release tags to flag
that this is stable code intended to be used in production.

Thanks for the detailed information which makes things more clear to me
now.

[1] http://blends.debian.org/debichem/tasks/