header package for samtools

Hello,
I'm wondering whether we should provide a samtools-dev binary package
for its header files and static library. Although the upstream build
system does not have an option to install those, they seem to be used by
some projects.

Specifically, I was looking to package lofreq [1], but it requires the
samtools headers and its static library libbam.a, expecting users to
have a compiled copy of the source distribution for samtools.

I was able to somewhat cheat by using the headers that end up getting
distributed with pysam (in
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pysam/include/samtools), but there's no
sense in adding a hack dependency on pysam (and the static library
libbam.a isn't in there anyway).

If nobody has objections, I can go ahead and add it. Does the current
status in git match the latest upload? It still says 1.2-4 is UNRELEASED
while that is the current version in unstable.

Thanks and regards
Afif

1. https://github.com/CSB5/lofreq

--