Re: bart - tools for computational magnetic resonance imaging

Hi Martin,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med.

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 12:15:18AM +0000, Uecker, Martin wrote:
> I would love to see our image reconstruction software
> for magnetic resonance imaging included in Debian.

Its very nice to see that upstream trusts the Debian Med team and is
approaching us directly.

> I filed an ITP with more information here:

> The source code is on Github:
>
> https://github.com/mrirecon/bart
>
> I already added a debian branch with the debian control
> files. Using gbp I can build a package with:
>
> gbp buildpackage  --git-debian-branch=debian --git-upstream-tree=master
>
> but it probably needs more work... and a sponsor.

I have not yet checked out this and before I do I would like to suggest
that you move the actual Debian packaging to git.debian.org where all
our packaging code resides.  This as several advantages (if interested
I could list them - one example would be that your work could be listed
on our imaging page[1] even in this stage).

My suggestion would be that you check out our team policy[2] that
explains how to maintain a package in our packaging Git.  Since we have
also a mentoring program called Mentoring of the Month[3] and there is a
free slot for December I wonder whether you like to become a MoM
student.  Considering that you are obviously comfortable with gbp I'm
quite positive that we will succeede in way less than a month.

What to you think about this?

[1] http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/imaging#pkgvcs-debs
[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM