Re: Fwd: Prokka Debian package?

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Michael,

BTW, I have "stolen" your work (stolen in a sense that I took over your
changelog entry since I needed to sign it and since beeing in a hurry I
completely forgot the option to use -k - if you mind I'll remove the
current upload and re-upload with your ID) and uploaded to Debian Med
PPA.  May be we need to remove from PPA anyway - due to the licensing
issues and I simply was to quick (should not work in a hurry :-().

No worries. Out of an abundance of caution I scheduled the package for deletion from the PPA (but see below for more on the subject)

Re: http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-med/prokka.git/commit/?id=91b39ca656f979b3c2c704d8756d9e04e54ae5f9

`prokka-tigrfams_to_hmm` & `prokka-make_tarball` are not for end users which is why I didn't ship them.

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 05:56:18PM +0000, Michael Crusoe wrote:
> Looks like my CC's to the mailing list didn't make it before.

A quick search uncovers a relevant thread[1]

> However I can still ship the original files plus your prokka-hamap_to_hmm
> script and regenerate it at install time.
>
> Alas the package will not be allowed in Debian main but is allowed in
> 'non-free' (or I could split it into a data package in non-free and your
> scripts in 'contrib')

Something like this.  If I understood debian/copyright correctly not all
data sets are CC-BY-ND.

5 of the 8 datasets are CC-BY-ND by my count.

Am I understanding things correctly that the
code might serve some purpose with a free subset of data and could be
enhanced by other data in non-free + downloaded data?

No, the code is useless without the non-free data :-/
They take quite a while to generate and the distribution of them is a big time saver.

Has anybody contacted the copyright holders of the data in question?

Upon review of http://www.uniprot.org/help/license I think we may be in the clear. CC-BY-NC covers the design and organizational structure of the databases in question but facts of nature (the protein sequences) are uncopyrightable.

Does that hold up for you?

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2013/08/msg00012.html