Re: orthanc-postgresql

> The only way to usefully communicate that state is ...
>
> > If Orthanc is configured for PG but PG is not started,
> > Orthanc will stop, will *not* fallback to sqlite [, ...]
>
> ... and will loudly and clearly complain:
>
> 	you have configured Orthanc to connect to PG with
> 	$PG_CONN_STRING but I cannot connect with those
> 	parameters, here is what libpq had to say:
> 	$LIBPQ_ERROR_MESSAGE (if any)

Yes, this is the current behavior:

# cat /var/log/orthanc/Orthanc.ERROR
E0305 17:02:20.518434 30901 PluginsManager.cpp:144] Error in PostgreSQL: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
E0305 17:02:20.518726 30901 PluginsManager.cpp:82] Error while initializing plugin /usr/share/orthanc/plugins/libOrthancPostgreSQLStorage.so (code -1)
E0305 17:02:21.014979 30901 main.cpp:654] Uncaught exception, stopping now: [Error while using a shared library (plugin)]
<<<<<

> So, all in all the only useful purpose an orthanc-PG package
> might serve is to Depends: on postgresql-*client* thereby
> ensuring libpq is installed :-)  thereby freeing the
> orthanc(-core) package from that Depends:.

Yes, this is also the current state of the package.

> you might just do away with the whole gamut and have
> orthanc(-core) just install everything (core and PG plugin)
> and also Depends: on sqlite _and_ postgresql-client. It would
> then provide a default configuration for sqlite and a
> correct-but-inactive configuration for the PG plugin.

I do not want to include the PG plugins inside orthanc, as the two projects are fully separated (distinct repositories, distinct versioning).

OK, so, according to the KISS principle, I think I will choose the simplest way. There will be 2 packages: "orthanc" and "orthanc-postgresql", and I will discard "orthanc-sqlite". It will always be possible to introduce it in the future. I will also remove the "Conflicts:" and provide instructions/samples to modify the "/etc/orthanc/orthanc.json" file to enable PG support.

This should hopefully be ready for this afternoon.

Sébastien-