Re: [MoM] Packaging OpenSurgSim

On Fri, 2015-01-23 at 16:24 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > I think this is actually a *related* note.  Does this
> "unsuccessful so
> > > far" mean upstream has a problem to integrate the changes or did
> not yet
> > > released a version which does contain the changes?  Its Debian
> policy do
> > > use the packaged version of libraries if at all possible (=you
> should
> > > try hard to make it possible).
> >
> > "Unsuccessful so far" means I have sent patches to yaml-cpp almost a
> > year ago (Feb 2014), but they haven't been integrated yet. The
> upstream
> > author seems busy, as there hasn't been a new release of yaml-cpp
> since
> > April 2013. I will continue to pester though. :-)
>
> I have not yet tested this approach and your mileage may vary but you
> might like to send the patches in a wishlist bug report to the Debian
> package.  On one hand it might solve your current build problem very
> easily and on the other hand it might convince upstream if a major
> distribution has the patches.

Upstream yaml-cpp just merged the patches, and it sounds like they will
release a new version in the next week or so. So, fingers crossed, I can
remove yaml-cpp from OpenSurgSim source and add it as a build-depends as
you requested. Should I get in touch with the maintainer of Debian
yaml-cpp to see if I can help getting the new version packaged?

Also, there are a couple of more packaging questions:

- The policy mentions adding "Testsuite" field to the debian/control
file. OpenSurgSim uses CTest to run our Google Test unit tests. The
tests seems to be running correctly during the build. But, what do I
need to put in this field?

- README.test and README.source, I am a little confused as to what goes
here. Is there an example I can look at?

- debian/upstream (or debian/upstream/metadata). I would like to add
this as well. Again, do you know of a good example I can follow?

Thanks,
-Paul