Re: Lintian's warnings : ldconfig call is useless and unsafe...

Hi Corentin,

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 04:46:52PM +0100, Corentin Desfarges wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To finish my work on fw4spl, I have to fix the 3 last lintian's issues.
>
>  W: fw4spl: postinst-has-useless-call-to-ldconfig
>  W: fw4spl: postrm-has-useless-call-to-ldconfig
>  W: fw4spl: postrm-unsafe-ldconfig

I noticed that you commited today further changes which I did not yet
checked - the build takes some time as you know.  When I builded commit
ID aebf1274866f7e5417efdd4ee8aa3fbdf50e6dc1 and using the last lintian
version from unstable (which might be more picky than some other
version) I've got:

E: fw4spl source: source-is-missing Apps/VRRender/doc/source/_static/jquery.js
   -> Seems to remain

W: fw4spl source: changelog-should-mention-nmu
W: fw4spl source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 0.9.2-1
   -> Seems you fixed both in last commit

I: fw4spl source: quilt-patch-missing-description remove_fwItkIOTest.patch
I: fw4spl source: quilt-patch-missing-description set_media_as_bundle.patch
I: fw4spl source: quilt-patch-missing-description add_easy_launcher.patch
I: fw4spl source: quilt-patch-missing-description fix_unit_tests.patch
   -> Please add DEP3 descriptions (if in doubt what this mean you might like
      to use `lintian -i ...`).

W: fw4spl source: timewarp-standards-version (2014-07-16 < 2014-09-17)
   -> Seems to be fixed.

I: fw4spl: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/lib/fw4spl/libfwRuntime.so.0.3
I: fw4spl: spelling-error-in-binary usr/lib/fw4spl/libfwThread.so.0.1 tEH the
I: fw4spl: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/lib/qtplugins/bearer/libqgenericbearer.so
   -> This can be ignored.

W: fw4spl: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/launcher
W: fw4spl: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/launcher-0.1
   -> Would be nice to have but we could live with this for the moment.
      However, what I'm more concerned about is the very generic name of the
      binary.  I wonder whether /usr/bin/fw4spl or /usr/bin/fw4spl-launcher
      would be more apropriate and this also should be suggested to upstream.

W: fw4spl: postinst-has-useless-call-to-ldconfig
W: fw4spl: postrm-has-useless-call-to-ldconfig
   ->  See below

so there are some more things left to do.  Specifically the first one is
an error.  I guess this is connected to your recent question about
recreating the upstream tarball.  Can you confirm that you worked on
this?

> I don't understand why I get these errors. ldconfig is used to register the shared
> libraries. For this warning, I think I'll override the lintian issue as it was done
> for a lot of other packages [1]
>
> Here is my postinst script :
>
>  if [ "$1" = "configure" ]; then
>   ... && ldconfig
>  fi
>
> But about the unsafe call to ldconfig, I thought fix it by adding this in postrm :
>
>  if [ "$1" = "remove" ]; then
>   ... && ldconfig
>  fi
>
> I've also try to do :
>
>  test "$1" = "remove" || exit 0
>  ... && ldconfig
>
> But it doesn't fix the issue, as expected... Is it not safe ? And why is it
> useless ?

I guess the call is useless since the dynamic libraries are in a subdir
of /usr/lib.  As far as I know ldconfig deals with this automatically.
I'm not sure whether your new means in postinst / postrm is fixing the
issue.  I think you can safely remove these files from the packaging.
Since I'm a bit in a hurry I'd recommend to ask on
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org where this kind of question is easily
handled.

Hope this helps