Re: Compiling binaries on package installation

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 08:40:33AM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Michael Banck wrote:
>
> > > Or should I point out how to "compile your own", like it is done in the
> > > "Building an optimized OpenBLAS packages on your architecture" in the
> > > README.Debian file of openblas-base?
>
> > Not sure what's in those files, but I suggest to support
> > DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=custom in your Debian packaging, which would build an
> > optimized package for a the user.  That's what the ATLAS package are
> > (were?) doing, and if we have enough packages like that, doing the m-a
> > like tool as mentioned above would be a matter of knowing which packages
> > do support it.
>
> +1 BUT from a user perspective it would have been much more
> convenient if there was e.g. 'atlas-custom-installer' package which
> would do that automagically at the package installation time.

Well, one downside of that would be that you'd need a development
environment on every compute node you install it on, no?

If you bundle a "please rebuild my packages with optimization" script
with a local .deb archive, you'd only need to do it once on a frontend
box.

Michael