Re: [MoM] Packaging Camp for Debian

Hi Corentin,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 03:08:41PM +0200, Corentin Desfarges wrote:
> I began to try to package Camp, and I've some questions :
>
> - I've compressed the sources of Camp in camp-0.7.1.tar.gz,

Question:  How did you obtained these sources before compressing them.

> and next
> I've copied it under the name of camp_0.7.1.orig.tar.gz.
> Then I've put the directory debian/* into camp-0.7.1 and run
> pdebuild. Is it the right process ?

In principle yes (I need to know the answer to my "get sources" question
above to be sure).

> - The .deb file has been well created but, when I install it (with
> apt-get install camp), the size of the built library (libcamp.so) is
> small than the one built with the classic way (cmake - make) : 1800
> Ko vs 356 Ko. Have you ever seen something like that ?

I'd call this normal since binaries are stripped (man dh_strip).

> - Then on the wiki page of MoM, there is a link to a git repository
> for my project, but I'm asking if I have a writing access on it ?

You need to create an account on alioth.debian.org first and ask for
becoming added to the Debian Med team.

> And first, does this repository already exist ? Because I can't
> clone it for now, and I don't see it anywhere...

This repository does not yet exist ... I just "invented" this string for
the moment. :-)

> - About "debian/watch" : The problem is there are some forks from
> it, and the more recent is one year old. Does one of forks could be
> used ? (Knowing that they look like that :
> https://github.com/tegesoft/camp).

We are packaging the source which is mentioned in d/watch (this is
connected to my "get sources" question).  If *you* (as an educated
person about the code) decide to package a fork for whatever reason
this for should be fetched with d/watch and you should document the
reasons for this in the file debian/README.source.

> - The organization of the Git repository doesn't include the
> different version, like it by example :
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vxl/files/vxl/
> What do you think about it ?

I'm afraid I do not understand this question.  (BTW, I just uploaded vxl
to unstable.)

> - I've opened a new thread on
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/08/msg00845.html . Does
> it seem all right for you ?

Yes, it is.  (Just for the wording:  I would have said here in this
mail
    s/I've opened a new thread on/I filed an ITP bug/
... and I would not refer to the thread on debian-devel but rather
to #759244)

> - In this thread, as Upstream Author, I put the name of the last
> person I know who worked on Camp. Is it ok ?

The ITP bug is not really relevant for this since once the package the
bug is closed and forgotten.  Please make sure you document things
properly inside the package (README.source).