Re: [MoM] New project for April (Was: New Contributor Game)

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Iain R. Learmonth <irl@fsfe.org> wrote:
Fell off the mailing list.

Oops! My mistake. Sorry about that.

>> Have you read the Debian Med Group Policy yet? You can find that here:
>>
>> http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
>
> Yes, I read it once. It is very detailed, which is good, but it means that
> it has
> many things I did not understand. I'll go over it again (and again...)

The Debian wiki is good for looking up things you don't understand
related to Debian packaging.

I went back for the basics and installed debian-policy, developers-reference
and maint-guide and started reading. I think documentation is generally
very good in Debian, so I expect the reading to go smoothly.

Well, you don't have to upload your source package to the Debian Med git
until you've got it working for the first version but you should sign up
for an account at least:

https://alioth.debian.org/account/register.php

OK. Will do that shortly.

> Is Wheezy enough to work on packaging SleepyHead? Or do I need to
> setup a Jessy or Sid?

I do my development work on Jessie. My understanding is that you can use
cowbuilder to build for Jessie while working on Wheezy, but I haven't
figured this out yet (Andreas builds my packages for upload as I am also
quite new).

I'm making a local mirror of Jessie. I think having the files already here when
I finish reading may be helpful even if I don't do a full install.

I've ordered the oximeter, but it's coming from China so it could be a
while (up to a month).

It is good to know it will be there though. I'll look for other sources of test
data too (after the reading ;)).

Best regards,

Ubiratan.