Re: Task for MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) development

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:

>    Dear all,

>    I originally started to contribute to the Debian ecosystem to help make
>    available some of the development library, such as [1], necessary to work
>    with MRI data. In the field of MRI processing, we are currently witnessing
>    a growing interest towards the release of opensource tools / framework
>    specific to MRI [2, 3]. Since most reconstruction clusters I know run on
>    Linux, I can see Debian playing a great part in providing a centralized
>    repository for distributing and releasing MRI related software. Before
>    that, It would be nice to have a centralized place to discuss and
>    coordinate packaging jobs for MRI software, which I thought the creation
>    of dedicated task [4] would officially acknowledge.

Hi Ghislain,

>    First of, does it sound silly ?

not all

>    Is that enough to justify the creation of a new task ?

in addition to
http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/imaging
and
http://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/imaging-devel
?

There is already a bulk of MRI related software packages
contributed to listings in those two tasks

What would you call the task?  what software would you like to list
there?  If to make just MRI specific task -- not sure.

>    Would there be any interest from other people besides me ?
>    How much work would it represent to organize such task ?

not much ;)

>    Just testing the waters.

FWIW you might like also to know about the NeuroDebian project:
http://neuro.debian.net/ , which while concentrating on brains also is
quite MRI-centric ;)  We do package/maintain some software under
debian-med and debian-science blends umbrellas and list them in those
tasks pages.

As for the packaging discussion  place -- debian-med mailing list would
indeed be a good venue ;)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org