Re: Updating the fis-gtm package to V6.1-000

Hi Amul,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 03:44:44PM -0400, Amul Shah wrote:
> Folks,
> I'm working towards updating the fis-gtm package. I have several TODOs for this:
> - Incorporate the updated sources
> - Refresh existing and apply new patches, quilt is just awesome
> - Update the virtual package fis-gtm depends to V6.1-000
> - Use the ARCH settings (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.mumps/mH9mdI8ozQ0/n752Z_8jlJYJ)
> for 64bit (x86_64) and 32bit (i586) builds
> - Test - I had problems with this last time and may need help

Sounds like a sensible plan.

> The first question I have is what repository should I work from? For now, I cloned
>     https://alioth.debian.org/anonscm/git/debian-med/fis-gtm.git

That's annonymous.  You should rather clone (or set remote origin to):

   ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/fis-gtm.git

Please use

   git import-orig --pristine-tar <new_upstream_tarball>

(and nothing else) to do your first step (Incorporate the updated
sources).  If you then try `git push` you will see whether you have
commit permissions.

> I have keys established on alioth which I used to access the SVN repositories.

So you can

    ssh git.debian.org   ?

> I started reading the Debian New Maintainers' Guide because I can't
> remember a single thing about this process other than
> git-buildpackage.

You need to tweak the debian/ dir between

    git import-orig --pristine-tar

and

    git-buildpackage

The bare minimum is to

    dch -i

to create a new changelog entry.

Feel free to come up on this list with any question you might have.

Kind regards and thanks for caring for fis-gtm