Re: Packaging NGS QC Toolkit for Debian

Dear Mukesh,

thanks for your straight response.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 06:45:06PM +0530, Mukesh Jain wrote:
> Dear Andreas,
>
> Many thanks for your e-mail and interest in our toolkit. My response to
> your queries is given below.
>
> 1. The http://www.nipgr.res.in/ngsqctoolkit.html page defines an HTML frame
> which in turn calls and loads the toolkit page from
> http://59.163.192.90:8080/ngsqctoolkit/. Therefore when you access the
> former weblink through web browser it loads the toolkit page and works
> perfectly fine, but when you try to download the page using former weblink
> you will get only the page with HTML frame. Currently, we are not in
> position to change this settings. It would be great if you could use the
> latter weblink for your project instead.

OK, this does not cause any trouble for us regarding packaging.  I just
thought that it might confuse users.

> 2. The manual already has "Terms of Use".

Ahh, thanks for the hint.  I'd recommend to add a plain text file
COPYING or something like this into the download tarball to make it more
easy to find.  I have checked the license which says:

 NGS QC Toolkit has been developed at National Institute of Plant Genome Research,
 Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi – 110067, India. All rights about the toolkit are reserved to
 National Institute of Plant Genome Research, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi – 110067,
 India.
 .
 NGS QC Toolkit is a free and open source software toolkit, and distributed in the hope
 that it will be useful. In no event will NIPGR be liable to you for damage, including any
 general, special, consequential or incidental damage arising out of the use, modification or
 inability to use the program (including but not limited to loss of data or data being rendered
 inaccurate or losses sustained by you or third parties or a failure of the program to operate
 with any other programs). NGS QC Toolkit can be used, redistributed and/or modified freely
 for non-commercial purposes subject to the original source is properly cited.
 .
 THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
 EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 .
 Use of this toolkit is taken as an agreement to these terms of usage.

In the second paragraph you are restricting the use of the software to
non-commercial purposes.  While this is a frequently used restriction in
scientific software from a Debian point of view it is a discrimination
of for-profit use and and discrimination is per definition non-free
(since it does not fit the Open Source definition [1]).  Do you see any
chance to drop this restriction and for instance use some standard
license like GPL, BSD, MPL etc?  This would enable us to distribute
ngsqctoolkit with main Debian.

> 3. The source (i.e. Windows Word page) can be found the following link if
> that works for them.
> http://59.163.192.90:8080/ngsqctoolkit/NGSQCToolkitv2.3.3_manual.doc

Nice, we will include a copy of this file into the package to fullfill
the requirement of having the source.

> I hope it answers your queries.

It did ... and opened a new one about the license. :-)

[1] http://opensource.org/osd-annotated
    --> see paragraph 5