Re: Status of uw-prism packaging for Debian

Hi Ira,

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:15:49AM -0700, Ira Kalet wrote:

> Right, so I will plan on getting SLIK into shape to be a Debian
> package.  It is not medical, it does not depend on any particular
> Lisp system, just depends on clx, which is already available.  There
> should be no restrictions on use or redistribution of SLIK, so
> probably it could go into the main area.  I will get in touch
> directly with the maintainers of the Common Lisp Controller and
> dh-lisp packages to find out what I will need to do.

Fine.  Just let us know on the list in case you might face any
trouble.

> Thanks for the note.  My health status is not secret, but no need to
> bother people about it if they don't need to know.  Your advice is
> very kind and well taken.  I am retired, but have a list of projects
> including two books, one a personal memoir and the other on advanced
> Lisp programming.  I also am still playing ice hockey as my web site
> notes.  I have a grant application for a research project pending at
> the US NIH.  I just am a little reluctant to promise any extended
> support for something when I may not be able to meet that promise.

That's a very honorable attitude which I share fully.  However working
on a Debian package is not a promise.  While for sure it is expected
that a maintainer is somehow obliged to the work he is doing we
established team maintenance for all our packages to be able to replace
persons who for whatever reason cannot or do not want to continue
working on this.  Luckily this strategy worked so far for most of our
packages by the help of dedicated Debian teams (in your case we most
probably can contact Debian Lisp for any technical help).  There is also
some hope that from the potential users of the package some
co-maintainers could be recruited.  If you could actively care for such
people that would be even better for sure.

[The licensing issue will be dealt in a separate mail.]