Aw: Re: ARB 6.0 released

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 30. Juli 2014 um 12:56 Uhr
> Von: "Emilien Klein" <emilien+debian@klein.st>
> An: "Debian Med Project List" <debian-med@lists.debian.org>
> Betreff: Re: ARB 6.0 released

> > Hi Elmar,

> >> I'm not sure it'd be helpful. The reality at our institute is that our
> >> base distro is rather outdated (Ubuntu 10.04, update to Debian 7 is
> >> pending). We therefore have a lot of software in /usr/local simply
> >> because the packages are outdated in our distro.
> >
> > You could check anyway whether you might spot something which might be
> > missing in Debian but could be useful.  IMHO the best way to check is
> > our biology task page[1].
>
> I second that. At some point you will upgrade to a newer release even
> if it's still in 5 years, but at that point you would already have
> those packages straight in your distro.
> If those don't get packaged now, you'll have the same situation when
> you upgrade, which you then need to manually update for yet another 10
> year ;)

In deep theory we have backports.debian.org to help earlier releases,
but if one is not using those earlier versions oneself, this is all
rather difficult to motivate.

It is on my long todo list to investigate more about how to integrate
docker.io with our workflows. Any respective success stories, also from
non .deb distros, please report :)

Best,

Steffen