Re: Licensing question

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 04:03:26PM +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:
> Thanks Guido,
>
> I've read the thread. I think we should include this complex discussion
> inside the Debian wiki.
>
> If I've clearly understood, a package that would contain any data with
> this licence would not be elligible to the free repo of Debian even if
> these data remain "exactly as is".
>
> We could think that these data could be distributed non modified with an
> application and then when user runs this application for the first time,
> data are processed. In this case, Debian distribute unmodified data. Am
> I wrong?
>
> Eric

I'll of course defer to Charles' ability to understand french, so
working from the English translation (which is to say, I might be
missing something), I don't see the same issues he does.

Both the ISC and MIT/Expat license don't explicitly allow distribution
of modified works, but it's pretty implicit:

/ ISC
| Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for
| any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
| above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
\ ISC

(OK, this has an and/or, so perhaps not the best example, sorta like how
 the BSD licenses do this explicitly)

/ Expat
| Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
| copy of this software and associated documentation files (the
| "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including
| without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
| distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to
| permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to
| the following conditions:
\ Expat

/ LOOL
| • To reproduce, copy, publish and transmit the « Information »
| • To disseminate and redistribute the « Information »
| • To adapt, modify, transform and extract from the « Information »,
|   for instance to build  upon it in order to create « Derivative information »
| • To exploit the « Information » commercially, for example, by
|   combining it with other « Information », or by including it in your own
|   product or application.
\ LOOL

I'd have to think more about it.

Cheers,

 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87
`. `'`  http://people.debian.org/~paultag
 `-     http://people.debian.org/~paultag/conduct-statement.txt