Re: [MoM] Update on Open EMR 4.1.2 Patch 5

Andreas - As always you have been very helpful.  Will checkout the git repo and start working on the files.  I was reading section 4 "Required Files Under Debian Directory" so I have plenty of work to do.  If I have problems logging into Alioth will let you know.

More news soon.  Will keep my report short tonight.  I have uploaded my public key to gain access for SSH and need to just wait for cron to update my authorized_keys file in under an hour.

cheers
ian

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Ian,

thanks for your MoM report (which I answer on list).

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:29:43PM -0700, Ian Wallace wrote:
> Andreas - I created my account and someone responded (I think) granting me
> access.

Yes, this is done as I checked.

> Currently I was finishing reading the FHS stuff and started on the
> New Maintainers' Guide (which is very helpful).  In parallel I was figuring
> out how phpmyadmin is packaged for Debian and they seem to have a lot of
> the same problems that we have (need a web server with a configuration,
> need the MySQL configuration, etc).  I will start looking through there
> files in the 'debian' directory for help with figuring out what might be
> helpful to use again in the OpenEMR project.

Fine.  To simplify your work I moved the current packaging from SVN to
git (as promised previously).  I injected the latest upstream source as
pristine-tar and added you as Uploader.  You are also the owner of the
changelog entry to stress the fact that you intend to work on this
package.  Please note that the resulting binary package content remains
empty - so it will be up to you to properly move around the files.  I
also noted that lintian - the Debian policy checker - found a lot of
issues with compressed _javascript_ files which we will need to deal with.
If you have no idea what this means just ignore it for this moment - we
come back later to this once we have something to work with.

> I think the hardest thing might be that the current version of OpenEMR
> really thinks that most of it's files live in /var/www and not the various
> directories that FHS prescribes.  I know that there's a globals.php file
> that sets most of the directories but it's going to take some looking into.

In cases like this it might help to work with symlinks but in any case it
might make sense to teach OpenEMR developers about FHS.

> Once I have access to alioth should I start committing my 'debian' files to
> that the openemr repo?

Yes, please do so.  Just do not hesitate to commit anything you have.  You
can not break anything since the packaging is just broken.

> Do you have one created or do I need to do that?

See above.  I recommend to check it out using

   gbp-clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/openemr.git

> need to talk with the upstream developers as well on the naming convention
> - they have the releases as 4.1.2 (patch 5) and I am wondering if it would
> be easier to just call it 4.1.2.5 or should I just increment the Debian
> release number each time a patch is issued.

You could perfectly use 4.1.2p5 or even 4.1.2.5 if you simply adapt the
debian/watch file to do the substitution.  The most important thing is
that upstream will provide download files that will let us distinguish
between these patch levels.

> First things first ... will gain access to the alioth server via ssh so
> that I can commit and then start on other tasks.

Yup. :-)

> Battery is about to die on laptop ... that's all for tonight.

Hope your battery is recharged once you read this mail. :-)