Re: [MoM] Getting Started with OpenEMR Package

Hi Ian,

since I don't know whether you just subscribed to this list (please
confirm) I'll keep you in CC.  Usually on all Debian lists policy says
not to CC single persons.

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 09:19:54PM -0700, Ian Wallace wrote:
> Andreas - I watched the video on the project to package OpenVISTA - very
> interesting.  Did you guys ever actually get it packaged so that it could
> be distributed?

We have fis-gtm as precondition packaged.  There is also some
preliminary work done for OpenVISTA but I'm afraid we will not make it
until 2014-11-05 when the freeze for the next release is happening.  For
sure any tester who might create the packages from source are welcome or
we might create an inofficial download location (PPA?)

> I am ready when you are.  I think a few house keeping
> items would be:
>
> 1) Whom do I contact for permission/access to the git repository that
> you'll be using so that I can checkout your template files and start
> working.

If you created an alioth account you can ask for beeing added to the
Debian Med project.  Alternatively you can just tell me your login name.
I ckecked for Ian Wallace but the seek function (which does not
necessarily work reliable) did not found your name - otherwise I would
have done it right now.

> 2) I wanted to start with the latest release of the software 4.1.2 release
> 5 or do you recommend starting on an older release and working up to the
> latest?

Usually it is a good idea to start with the current version since this
is most probably your upload target.

> 3) Do I need to create a packaging environment that matches any particular
> version of Debian before I start?

No.  As explained in the Debian Med policy document it is sufficient to
create a chroot using pbuilder (or rather cowbuilder which has some
advantages regarding speed since it is using copy-on-write (cow)).  Just
ask here if you have any trouble with this.

> I am running Ubuntu 14.04 but can create
> a VM with Vagrant or just VirtualBox so that I can have a clean install to
> work with.

There are people who are working on Ubuntu and just build with pbuilder
but if you are comfortable with using VirtualBox that's fine as well.

> 4) Since OpenEMR is really just a bunch of PHP scripts is there really
> anything to "build" or is really just shuffling around directories to make
> it fit into the Debian Way of doing things or does dpkg expect to find a
> makefile or some kind.

I personally do not have any experience with PHP scripts and it might be
a good idea to study the packaging of other PHP projects.  I might
possibly not the best mentor in this regard but we will see what
problems we might face - perhaps I need to guide you to the right forums
in case it turns out that I'm incompetent to help.  I think gforge /
fusionforge are some complex PHP systems and stealing ideas from their
packaging could help.  But it could also be way to complex and you find
better examples in phpmyadmin or so.

I think in any case you should use the existing packaging for openemr
and see how the files are moved around.  Most probably this will answer
your question - otherwise please ask more precisely here.

> I see that I have a lot of reading/learning to do.  I will start by reading
> the Debian Med Policy handbook and downloading the Debian Policy paper as
> well.
>
> Thanks with any info / help you can provide.  Hope you had a wonderful time
> on your vacation.

I really had.  BTW, I'm remaining a bit in "pseudo-vacation" since my
provider which I'm using at daytime is a pure catastrophy service wise
and currently I can only respond in (European) evening hours.  So please
excuse any delays.

> Maybe if there's another Debian Med conference sometime
> in the future I can join in - would be fun.

The next meeting I will talk about Debian Med will be LSM

   https://2014.rmll.info/?lang=en

and we will have a Debian Med team sprint as usual in the beginning of
next year most probably in Brittany.  It would be great to see you
there (as well as any other reader of this list).