Re: Packaging SMALT for Debian

Hi Andreas,

There is no dependency on BioPython. The 'from formats import Cigar' line imports the class Cigar from the Python module smalt/test/formats.py which should be part of the distribution.

For output in the binary format BAM and input from BAM/SAM files (see samtools.sourceforge.net) SMALT depends on the bambamc library https://github.com/gt1/bambamc See the README file for installation instructions with this library. This is optional though and the build process may give warnings but should still complete and produce a binary without this functionality.

Some tests depend on the samtools (samtools.sourceforge.net) binary being in the search path, but the ./configure script should set up the test suite so that those test do not run if samtools is not installed.

The only other dependency is zlib - but also this should be optional.

Could you send me the smalt/test/tmp/LOGFILE.* files that should be there after the failed test bam_cigar_test.py. That should tell my why the test might have failed.

Kind regards,
/Hannes