Re: SPAdes for Debian

Hi Anton,

many thanks for coming back to me about this.

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:10:00PM +0400, Anton Korobeynikov wrote:
> Hi Andreas
>
> Right now we're starting to plan SPAdes 3.1 release, so it may be a
> good time to do some changes.

:-)

> What we'll certainly do - move the binaries besides spades.py into
> /usr/share/spades/bin subdir.

I guess you mean /usr/lib/spades/bin (since architecture dependant
binaries belong to /usr/lib rather than /usr/share according to FHS

> Any other suggestions?

In Debian we are adopting more and more the feature to run a test suite
in the build process of the package on one hand and in addition to this
a so called autopkgtest feature is implemented which runs a testsuite
perdiodically (I think at least once a month) to install a package and
its dependencies on a clean machine and run a defined testsuite.  This
ensures that it plays nicely with all needed components.

It would be really great if you could provide such a suite which could
be a simple script processing your test data youo are providing anyway
and add a simple comparison mechanism to verify the result.  When I
worked on the 3.0.0 package (which unfortunately is not finished yet ...
exactly due to the reason that I stumbled upon some tests and wanted to
do more comparisons) I realised that some output files are containing
dates and time stamps and thus comparisons do not make any sense but
other files need to match.  I guess it would be on one hand easy for you
to define a valid test result and it would also be quite helpful for
your users.

> PS: SPAdes 3.1 will include bamtools as a dependency / part.

In Debian we are maintaining libbam-dev (from samtools currently at
version 0.1.19-1).  We would like to be able to link against this
libraries due the mentioned principle of modularised packaging *and*
testing.  I wonder what you might think about this.

BTW, I think it would be very important to not only discuss with me in
person but rather with the Debian Med mailing list
debian-med@lists.debian.org .  The rationale behind this is that while I
have gathered quite some packaging skills I'm not a biologist and thus
no end user of the packages.  The end users reading on the list might
have a different opinion about things which would be great to hear (and
to respect) and you finally are wasting some "advertising" for SPAdes in
a forum of potential users if you are just writing to me.

So if you would give me permission I would bounce this mail to the list
and might do so in the future as well in case you might forget (you do
not necessarily need to be subscribed but please ask for beeing CCed
to receive direct answers to your mail).