Re: Jmol in danger to be removed - what about the outcome of Debian Med sprint? [Was: Jmol: Seeking new maintainer or considering removal]

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 11:23:38PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I know that some people worked on Jmaol at Debian Med sprint.  Does
> this work solve any of the problems mentioned below?
>
> I think we should not simply drop Jmol.

Just to be clear, I will not let it happen that Jmol gets dropped.  Even
the current version is, albeit outdated, ok to ship in jessie if all
else fails.

But the 14.0 release apparently depends on JSpecView, which has to be
packaged first. There is an open ITP (#721525) by Georges Khaznadar.

Georges actually uploaded it last september, but it got rejected due to
various issues. DDs can check the REJECT mail here:

coccia.debian.org:/srv/ftp-master.debian.org/queue/new/COMMENTS/2013/REJECTED.jspecview_2.0+svn1181~dfsg-1_amd64

Unfortunately, Jmol and JSpecView are rather typical Java projects, i.e.
if you download the .jar from SourceForge everything is lovely, but try
to build it yourself...

Michael