Re: What components of BLAT are really needed in a binary package

Hi Mathias,

thanks for your quick response.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:20:28PM +0000, Kuhring, Mathias wrote:
> I don't know about every binary, but I used blat, pslPretty, pslReps and pslSort on and a regular basis and they will all execute on their own. They don't need the web service part. And I think the converters won't, too.  As far as I understand, blat is a combination of gfServer and gfClient  for local use.
>
> However, in the specifications the always refer to all binaries as the blat suite, so it seems to be intented as a package:
> https://cgwb.nci.nih.gov/goldenPath/help/blatSpec.html
> http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/blatSpec.html

Good hint.  I have added this link to the file README.Debian.

> I would recommend to package the hole suite since it would satisfy all possible uses cases. However, I think it possible to build a package for local purpose only by just omitting gfClient, gfServer and webBlat. I actually never downloaded them myself.

OK, I think I'll simply leave gf* in since it is builded in the default
target of the makefile but webBlat is not.  This is also documented in
README.Debian.

I'll let you know if there is something to test.