Re: Debuild issue

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your advice.

>> I have a plastimatch_1.5.15+dfsg-1.orig.tar.gz, but it looks like

>> a plastimatch_1.5.15+dfsg.orig.tar.gz is wanted.  (See below for details.)
>
>The source tarball should not contain the Debian revision number.  The
>"-1" in the end is the Debian package version which will be increased
>if there would be a need to change the packaging.
>
>> Should I just rename the .tar.gz file and go about my business?
>
>Yes, definitely.  The name should be
>
>   plastimatch_1.5.15+dfsg.orig.tar.gz

Definitely I was misunderstanding this.  Now I understand and

my problem was easily resolved.

But I still have a kind of philosophical question.

With change of Debian revision number, couldn't the content of source
tarball change?  For example removing an additional file from upstream.
Then you would have different Debian versions, with different

source tarballs, but the same filename.

>I also think that if I will sponsor the package I will consider using
>the enhanced uscan[1] to create the upstream source and allows better
>compression option.

The new uscan looks very promising.  I would like to use it.

So far I ran into two problems, so I stick with the old method

until I can resolve.

- In Files-Excluded I have a pattern doc/*.pdf, but one of the

files with this pattern did not actually get removed.- I like to run get-orig-source as a shell script on the local file
for testing if files are being removed correctly.  But uscan seems only
to support downloading the tarball from ftp or http.

>For simplicity you can simply care for commiting your packaging code as
>usual to SVN and ping this list.  We will care for an upload.

Thanks!!  The new plastimatch seems ready.  I hope error building

on sparc, mips will be resolved.

Greg Sharp
gregsharp@geocities.com