Re: MIA upload

Hi Gert,

I admit that currently new processing is more or less stalled and I
guess that ftpmaster is doing this on purpose to fully concentrate on
the next release.  Because it is your first package and you are lacking
some experience: This is *not* normal and usually the time for new
packages until processing is below one week.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 03:56:53PM +0100, Gert Wollny wrote:
> since the MIA package is still in the ftp-master pipeline and I'm
> closing in for a new release that fixes a few issues, I was wondering
> how I should handle the situation.
>
> Should I prepare everything based on the already existing git tree,

Yes.  To be sure I created the tag debian/2.0.7-1 (please git pull).
In the unprobable case that we need to reupload we can revert to this
tag.

> or
> should I redo the package from scratch? In short should the changelog
> contain more than one entry, considering that in Debian there is not yet
> any change to be commented on?

Just create a new changelog entry pretending you would create a new
package version and as per policy use UNRELEASED (instead of unstable)
as target distribution.  Once the package will be processed we can
quickly upload the new version.

> Apart from that, is there any way to find out why the package is still
> in the NEW pipeline? What I can see on
> http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html doesn't give any additional
> insights.

There are no such hints (which I would be aware of.)  I simply assume
that's the freeze time.  Anybody here on this list is free to close open
RC bugs[1] to speed up the release and went back to normal development
cycle operation.

> And of course, is there anything I can do to resolve issues that may
> exists? One thing that I could try is to revive my old G4 Powerbook with
> a Debian install and see how the software works on 32 bit PowerPC.

There is no reason to stop this test.  On the contrary - checking
portability is always a good thing to do.

[1] http://richardhartmann.de/blog/posts/2013/02/09-Debian_Release_Critical_Bug_report_for_Week_06/