Re: I would like to submit a package to debian-med

Hi Jorge,

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 10:58:32AM +0000, Jorge Sebastião Soares wrote:
> Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
> Really apreciate it.

:-)

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > It would be really good to have a strong contact to the Sanger
> > Institute.  We just have package developed there but we would love to
> > make the coverage even more complete.
> >

> I would love to make this bridge stronger.
> What exactly do you have in mind? A physical person here at Sanger or a
> contact?

Well, if you are reading our mailing list, provide information what
should be packaged or how we could enhancing packaging thit would be
really cool.  Moreover becoming a member of the Alioth team and commit
packaging code.  Serving as proxy in case of things we would like to
ask upstream at Sanger and so on.

> The Sanger Institute is composed of several independent faculties I fall
> under one of these.

Sure - you probably can not deal with all Sanger faculties.

> But it would be very interesting for someone to have more of a central role
> in packaging Sangers mature code for Debian.

There used to be official Debian developers at Sanger but they did not
played an important role here inside the Debian Med team
(unforutunately).

> > I guess you are talking about
> >
> >    https://github.com/sanger-pathogens/snp_sites
> >
> > right?
>

> Exactly.
>

> >  If my suspicion is true the first helpful thing would be to add
> > tags to this repository which would enable us to create a proper watch
> > file observing new upstream versions of this software.
> >

> I will do a little digging for how to achieve this. If you have any
> suggestions, they are very welcome.

Just do some

    git tag 0.1
    git push --tags

would be perfectly sufficient (If I'm not totally wrong - I do not use
github).  can you publish your work you mentioned at some place to let
us have a look?

> > "fake environments" - probably you are using pbuilder for creating the
> > packages?
> >

> Correct. I have never really built a debian package before and I was told
> pbuilder would the easiest way to do it.
> I essentially created chroots for the three debian environments (sid,
> jessie and wheezy) and I have also created one for ubuntu precise.
>
> I have stipped out all the git structure from snp_sites, installed it in my
> debian stable release and created a package out of that instalation against
> the above environments.

It might be worth digging in git-buildpackage where you can leave the
.git structure.  See Debian Med policy for this.

> > That's very easy:  Once the package is inside Debian we just a one liner
> > to the metapackage information and all things will be done automatically
> > (including adding it to our tasks page[2]).  It can be even before it is
> > uploaded to Debian added to the tasks page[2] if it is just in our Vcs.
> > I assume you prefer using Git (since the software itself is in Git).
> > We will happily help you to do this.
> >
> My initial procedure was, as I said above, to strip away all git related
> stuff and build the package as simply as possible.
> I also had a look at gitbuilder procedures, but didn't follow this line as
> I was advised to keep it simple.

I agree that making it the most simple is a good way to start.  So in
principle there is nothing wrong with your approach.

> > I realised that [0] was lacking an explicite link to our team policy[3]
> > and thus I just added this link to the according paragraph since it is
> > written with the attempt to guide newcomers straight into the workflow
> > we are using.  Another method is my Mentoring of the Month[4] where I
> > offer direct help to newcomers and try to answer any question they might
> > have.
> >

> I am going through these documents and even if not for this package, I
> would be quite keen to go through the mentoring of the month method later
> in February.
> Possibly after the Stonehaven meet up which I am attending.

That's very cool if we can meet in Stonehaven!!!

> > > Please also do subscribe to the Debian Med mailing list [1].
> > >

> That's done already.

:-)