Re: Chances for cooperation between OSDDLinux and Debian

Hi Raghava,

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 04:40:52PM +0530, G P S Raghava wrote:
> Dear Andreas
>
> Thanks for your email and detail response to my quiries. We have
> created debian package for our number of software, though they are not
> perfect but works.

It is great to start with a set of packages which are somehow working
and finalise them by polishing.

> Mean time I have a request from members of this
> community, please have a look on our repository and suggestions. I mean,
> what is required to make them official package of Debian.

Surely I have looked into your repository - that's actually the reason
why I considered contacting you in the first place.  The requirements
are:

   1. (DFSG) free software
   2. somebody who does the maintenance

Since you are just building Debian packages you can most probably commit
the packaging code into the Debian Med VCS (as described in our team
policy[1]) and we will "sponsor" the packages to the official mirror.
This is probably a successive process because we will have problems to
do this for all packages in one rush.

> Mean time, we
> are reading about conditions required to make a package debian package.

You are best advised to read our team policy - specifically the hints for
newcomers[2].

> We will try to attend the conference you suggested, all depend on
> finance.

I can not promise to much but team sprints are supported by Debian to
some extent.  Usually this means covering the costs of official Debian
developers but we do not have a final calculation.  In any case if this
might help for your decision I'd volunteer to hand over my share
(~250Eur) to somebody of your team if this might fill a needed gap.

> Developers from my group also joining mailing list. Do we have any
> person on this mailing list who has expertise in packaging, belong to
> our region (India).

Joining the mailing list makes perfectly sense.  There are several
experienced packagers lurking on this list.  I have no idea what you
mean by "belong to $any region".  We have an i18n team in Debian if
there are any country specific things but from a first view on your list
I do not see any specifics for India.  But apropos India: We have
written a paper[3] which was originally intended to be published in an
Indian journal (see the discussion here [4]) but I have not heard from
the person who asked me to write this article and I think it is a nice
reading anyway.  So we should look for a proper place to publish the
text once it is written at some more reasonable / prominent place than
here[3] - but for the moment it might help you understanding what we
finally are approaching and in how far this is in line with your goals.

[1] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[2] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#packagingguidelines
[3] http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/debian-med-healthcafe.pdf
[4] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2013/02/msg00129.html