Upgrading glam2 (Was: Installation of binary tools inside MEME)

[original discussion on developer list on alioth - since it is down
 I "misuse" this list]

Hi,

in the past we had some positive feedback from meme authors (not only
the one below also others - searchable once alioth might be back) to use
the glam2 copy inside Debian under the old PD license.  Since I'm doing
a "month of upgrading of packages not touched >3 years" currently I
stumbled upon glam2 and was giving it a try.  You can see my preliminary
work here:

   http://blends.debian.net/tmp/packages/glam2/

The reason why I'm publishing this here is, that alioth is down but also
that I want to hear opinions first.

  1. I have choosen the same version number as meme (using epoch in
     changelog)
  2. I have used enhanced uscan[1] to strip everything that is not
     needed.
  3. I droped some makefile and missing files I kept from old glam2
     packages into debian/ dir
  4. glam2-purge is lost.

The thing is that unfortunately some files from main meme, namely

  alphabet.[ch]
  array.[ch]
  array-list.[ch]
  binary-search.[ch]
  ceqlogo.[ch]
  eps2png.[ch]
  hash_alph.h
  io.[ch]
  macros.h
  matrix.[ch]
  motif.[ch]
  motif-in-flags.h
  motif-in.h
  motif-spec.h
  red-black-tree.[ch]
  regex-utils.[ch]
  string-builder.[ch]
  string-list.h
  user.h
  utils.[ch]

(see debian/README.source).

So before we could distribute the given orig.tar.xz tarball we need to
ask upstream whether they might extend the permission to use a free
license also to these files which are actually some general utilities
and surely not the main part of MEME itself.

Even if I see good chances that upstream will agree here I would like
you to run some tests (perhaps even write some test case) whether the
new code really behaves like the old one.  Otherwise I do not think that
it is worth the trouble to start a licensing discussion and we might
rather stick to the old code.

I also wonder whether there is any need for glam2-purge which was not
taken over by the MEME project.  If it is needed the issue is quite
simple and we could create a separate package since the code remains
freely available anyway.

The next step would be to pick up the meme packaging for non-free and
just leave out the glam2 binaries for the installation.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UscanEnhancements