Re: Aw: Bioinformatics course in debian-med - feasibility?

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Daniel Barker wrote:

> Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I am now convinced a Debian
> package is feasible. I accept this will not the most useful thing for all
> users.

> Here are some further details. Any big problems at this stage, please let
> me know. We're going to seek funding, and I don't want to propose
> something impossible.

> We aim to expand the ways we release 4273pi to the following:

> (1) ready-to-run SD card image for Raspberry Pi (the current situation);

> (2) generic Linux version (we already provide our main Pi-based materials
> as a zipfile, that anyone can download, but it's rather Pi-based); and

> (3) Debian package.

Just a shameless plug somewhat, which might help you to decide on
optimal ways to skin the cow here:

in NeuroDebian (http://neuro.debian.net) we concentrate on neuroscience
domain, while also working on packaging many Python-based computational
projects which are not per se neuroscience specific (e.g. pandas,
statsmodels). We do provide our own repository with

- backport builds for different Debian and Ubuntu releases. Majority of
  packages is also uploaded to Debian proper, but with additional
  repository we could also provide packages which might not (yet)
  be fit for "proper Debian"

- data/ suite with some data packages which also include data for e.g.
  PyMVPA tutorial/course (documentation itself is a part of stock
  python-mvpa2-doc package thus itself available in Debian proper)

And also we provide a virtualbox appliance
http://neuro.debian.net/vm.html which is pre-configured with NeuroDebian
repository enabled and its 'welcome wizard' at the end of its
'welcoming' provides few options to customize any given virtual machine,
e.g. "PyMVPA tutorial" which through few apt-get commands (since
everything now packaged/available) makes it ready for the course.

By going through virtualbox appliance we pretty much eliminated a
problem of dealing with the variety of hardware students might have --
they can use it virtually on any laptop/desktop they have, which are
most often a bit more powerful than RPi would be.

How much of the data/course work materials, custom packages do you have
in mind?  If they are all packaged neatly and available under sensible
license, we could simply expand our NeuroDebian repo/VM to fit your
needs as well...

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org