Re: Biological data being used by an unpublished research paper is considered proprietary

Sorry if this was already discussed or not, but the US Supreme Court did make note in the past year or two that sequential data (like genes, for example) cannot be patented or else copywritten, as it would be akin to laying claim to nature.

On the other hand, there are definitely questions as to the nature of data. For example, content on YouTube has been known to be taken down over copyright claims, although civil law would tell us that a difference of 20 seconds would turn that data into a new piece of work.

Granted, if x-researchers somehow achieved the EXACT same phase space in their data collection in time, we shouldn't be asking about copyright, but miracles instead.