Re: what about emboss-explorer

Le Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 02:03:44PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I noticed that emboss-explorer was not updated upstream since 2006.  It
> would need some work due to #669738 and also has a (may be) upstream
> problem #485735 nobody really wants to tackle.  The popcon is very low
> compared to other packages.  I'm tempted to file a request for removal
> for this package if nobody raises interest to care for this package or
> can convince me seriously to spend some time into this.

Hi Andreas,

I agree that we will not be able to keep emboss-explorer alive indefinitely.
Also, there are other web interfaces to EMBOSS, for instance Mobyle (which is
a web interface to many other tools).

The emboss-explorer source package also builds the libemboss-acd-perl binary
package, which I use to generate the manual pages for the EMBOSS tools.  This
is one reason for keeping it, although we could consider removing the
emboss-explorer binary package anyway.

Here are possible directions.

 - Remove emboss-explorer (source or binary), recommend Mobyle instead.
   For this, a tutorial on how to use Mobyle on Debian may help to motivate
   our users to follow the migration.

 - Package an alternative to emboss-explorer that is maintainerd upstream and
   less complex than Mobyle.

 - Call for help on some mailing list and forums, and for instance decide that
   if in one year emboss-explorer is still abandononed, we will remove it.

Our emboss-explorer package is currently broken with the latest Apache; I will
try to do the migration today, so that we have at least one final working
version in snapshot.debian.org, as a service to our users (and perhaps myself).
I do not mind if it is removed shortly after.

PS: many thanks for your outstanding stream of updates recently.  I hope that
it inspires new members and potential newcomers for joining this effort !

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,