Re: best policies for third party Debian packaging and get-orig-source target

Le Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 03:00:25AM +0530, Faheem Mitha a écrit :

> r-cran-scales is now in Debian, but r-cran-ggplot2 has not yet been
> updated. I see that r-cran-scales is not installable, because it
> depends on r-cran-munsell, which is not in Debian, at least not
> currently on my mirror for amd64.

Hi Faheem,

r-cran-munsell was submitted to the Debian archive and is currently under
review.

    http://ftp-master.debian.org/new/r-cran-munsell_0.4-1.html

However, it contains a binary file, 'sysdata.rda', that is data table in a
compressed format.  The question is whether it is generated and refreshed by
the upstream author using a source file that is not distributed in the source
package.  Such a work would not be Free according to our principles.

    http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2013-August/021177.html

In the newer upstream version 0.4.2, there is a script to generate sysdata.rda
from another file, real.dat, in text format.  There is no information on where
this table comes from, how was it created, and what is the preferred way to
modify it.

If you had time to contact the upstream authors and get this point clarified,
that would be a tremendous help.  In the meantime, it may be difficult to
update r-cran-ggplot2.  I have asked for a temporary exemption, but I did not
receive an answer yet.

    http://lists.debian.org/20130807233230.GA12437@falafel.plessy.net

Have a nice day,

PS: I had a quick look at corrmodel (but did not have time to test it), and did
not find obvious problems.  For the package containing the R scripts, it may not
be necessary to name it according to the convention for packaged R modules,
since it is not a R module.  By the way, is it a software to study clonotypes ?
I have a (much simpler) work on line at http://clonotyper.branchable.com/

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy