Re: [zigo@debian.org: Availability of Debian official cloud images from debian.org]

Hi Olivier,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:25:55AM +0100, olivier.sallou@codeless.fr wrote:
> > any volunteer to join this effort to create such images featuring
> > med-cloud packages?
> What would be a med-cloud image ? (but an image containing med-cloud
> packages)

Well, there was somebody (if I remember correctly Steffen - `svn log`
might uncover) who considered it a good idea to assemble the subset of
med-bio packages that do not need a GUI in a med-cloud task.  I guess if
somebody is taking the effort there is some need and if there is some
need for this we probably should not stop here but just plug in our work
into something that sounds quite simple to finalise.  I'm personally not
involved into cloud stuff and thus I feel unable to provide reasonable
advise.

> I would gladly help such thing with debian-cloud team when debian-cloud
> team have procedures to build such images.

I somehow had the impression from the quoted mail that this is the case.
I simply wanted to make people here on the list who might be interested
in a cloud image aware about this.

> For raw/qcow2/ovh, it can be quite easy to build (you can transform
> between each other).
> Difficulty is more related to EC2 and specific setups per cloud.

I'd suggest you try to implement what is useful for *you* *personally*
and provide it for the public for wider adoption.  If those cloud images
are not really helpful for your work and nobody is explicitely asking
for it here I do not see a good reason to spend a lot of time into it.