Re: [Soc-coordination] Possible GSoC idea: Cloud images for bioinformatics.

Le Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:34:00AM +0100, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 05:30:23PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Simply booting a Wheezy image and typing 'apt-get install med-cloud' definitely
> > does not need two month of full-time work (one summer of coding), and it has
> > already been mentionned that Cloud Bio-Linux is already distributing our
> > packages in cloud images.
>
> +1
>
> > I think that to be successful, proposals have to address other problems, in
> > particular the need for precise versions of software, or the need for images
> > that will happily crunch hundreds of gigabytes of data, or the need for
> > parallelisation of workflows, etc.
>
> I agree that these things are reasonable and "not yet invented" things
> but I think this is missing in the project description.

Good point: I updated the description as follows.

http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2013/Projects#Project_idea:_a_cloud_image_for_bioinformatics_with_Debian

Description of the project: This is a call for bottom-up proposals structured
by students themselves along the following lines. 2012 has been a year of
progresses in Debian's support for clouds. Combined with Debian's leadership in
the distribution of packaged scientific and medical software, this opens
opportunities for establishing Debian as a first-class provider of virtualised
solutions for bioinformatics. To be successful, proposals will need to go
beyond simply booting a Wheezy image and typing apt-get install med-cloud, and
take into account the prior art of Cloud Bio-Linux, which is already
distributing our packages in cloud images. They will have to address other
problems, such as the need for precise versions of software, the need for
images that will happily crunch hundreds of gigabytes of data, the need for
parallelisation of workflows, etc.

Cheers,

--
Charles
(By the way, I am on emboss' copyright file)