Re: Python package review

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 03:35:59PM +0100, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I had a quick look at package. You manually do install steps etc...
> dh helper manage python. On a pure python package, all I had to do is:
> dh $@ --with python2

I was today traveling offline and came to the very same conclusion
to use this line (also commited and removed the postinst / prerm).
This works better because it simply implements what is written down
in Python policy.

> You should not need the .install files (to copy your python fileds) nor
> the setup.py install in your rules file.
>
> Maybe that a simple:
>

> override_dh_auto_install:
> dh_auto_install --sourcedirectory=gtpython
>
> could be enough.

This might be even more simple than my solution that has the install
file remaining.

> http://wiki.debian.org/Python/Policy / Updating your packages /
> 5. If your package provides modules (either public or privates), you
> should use python-support or python-central to bytecompile them at
> installation time. Choose one of them and follow the specific
> instructions below.

"--with python2" is using python-support (python-central is deprecated)

> You does the byte compilation yourself in postinst/prerm, but I think it
> would be better to use provided tools.

+1 (or should I say +2?)

BTW, I also checked the package in general and made it priority optional
with exception of the -dbg package.  Debian Med policy recommends this
priority because it ensures that all QA tools will work on this package
while priority extra might hide the package from some checking tools.

I also extended the clean target to enable building the package twice in
a row.  Most probably you should grab your upstream hat and fix upstream
Makefiles to enable easier cleaning up after building.

Hope this helps