Re: fixing rc-version-greater-than-expected-version

On 07/31/2012 08:14 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 08:24:57AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
>>>   $ dpkg --compare-versions 2.0.0-beta6-1 gt 1:2.0.0 && echo $?
>>>
>>> There are people who do not like epochs - but this is the clean way.
>>>
>> indeed, I think that using an epoch is a bit too much at the moment.
>>
> Could you please explain why you consider epoch as "a bit too much"?
>

>> For
>> instance, we do not know how long 2.0.0 will last, as sometimes minor
>> corrections are released very shortly after a release, and packages with
>> version numbers like 2.0.1 would solve our problem.
>>
>> I would recommend to ignore the warning until 2.0.0 is released.
>>
> In this case version 2.0.0-beta6 users will not notice the final
> release.  I fail to see your problem in using a technique which was
> invented exactly for this purpose.
>
> Kind regards
>
>         Andreas.

Hi Andreas,

I would like to avoid adding the epoch in the middle of the minor
releases, i.e. -betaX.
Because the only reason is lintian's warning and not a significant
change in the software.

And I also agree with Charles that it is better to wait until we really
need to add the epoch.
If we will need to do so at all.

Best regards,
Alex