Re: [MoM]: libquazip

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:52:30AM +0200, Eric Maeker wrote:
> > Ready to upload means without lintian errors, right ;-) :
>
> Absolutely, I always test the packaging when after each build, but may be I've missed something...
> Oh strange I thought I'd inhibate the libquazip0-headers package. Did I miss one commit ?

The control file contains something but it is commented ...  I also do
not see any sense in this at all.  That's overdesign for a very simple
library package and headers belong to the lib*-dev package except there
is some very good reason to do it differently.

> > I think something slipped through my first verification because I now
> > noticed that the static library (*.a) is missing from the -dev package.
>
> Yes actually the static lib is not built. I need to find a workaround. Using the --build-system=qmake_qt4 made me lose the qmake (full) control.

Seems so.  Probably the build system might need some tweaking.  May be
debian-mentors list is your friend in case it is not obvious how to do
this.

> > I also need to admit that I totally fail to see the reason of the -dbg
> > package.  I checked the archive and noticed that only a very few
> > libraries are featuring such a package.  I personally have no idea how
> > to use it and I wonder if you might see any practical use for your work.
> > If the later is not the case I'd suggest to drop this -dbg package.
>
> There are no mandatory rules for this kind of package, but a "best practice" rule (6.7.9) [1].
> I think this will be appreciate by devs and users of libquazip.

Please reread the second paragraph for what kind of libraries this would
be usally done.  IMHO it is a total waste of time to do it for leaf
packages like this. Libquazip is far from falling under the category
where users or maintainers *often* might need the debug feature.

> > Finally I would like to mention that the following
> >
> > override_dh_installchangelogs:
> >        dh_installchangelogs NEWS upstream
> >
> > would probably simplify the packaging - there is no point in calling
> > dh_installchangelogs for every single package if without the
> > specification this happens automatically.
>
> Humm, I add an error with the doc package when using this "global" rule instruction. Didn't you ? Something like duplicate changelog file. That's why I've splitted this into a "per package" instruction.

I have not tested the build with my suggestion above but I can not see
any reason why this should fail.  Perhaps you need to drop NEWS from
libquazip-doc.docs ...