Re: Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

BTw, I tweaked get-orig-source to use xz compression which saves 150MB.

Nice !

> Currently VistA is organized into Packages (at least at the file
> representation level). There are about 125 Packages.

I have no idea about VistA but I somehow have the gut feeling that the
plan to put all this into one large package is not the best idea we had.
It might be a better idea to have a 1:1 relation between the VistA
packages and Debian packages.  Please note that this is actually no
suggestion based on knowledge about VistA organisation but as I said
rather a gut feeling.  Perhaps it is possible to establish some
semi-automatic packaging mechanism (like it is for instance done for R
packages).

This certainly deserves more brainstorming.

R packaging and Python packaging (with easy_install)
are definitely models that we should take a closer look at.

What I also wonder: How did you decided about the versio number VistA
1.0?

Totally arbitrary !         :-)

I needed to put a number in the file, and...
there is not quite a "version" of VistA itself.

There are very specific versions of the individual VistA packages,
based on the number of KIDS patches that have been applied
to them, but not a version for the whole.

I'm happy to pick any other number to replace "1.0", which
certainly doesn't do justice to the > 30 years that VistA has
been around.

We could, equally arbitrarily use version "30.0"...

or use the number "2012" as a year ?

Open to suggestions...

      Luis