Re: Any progress with FIS GT.M?

Hi Luis,

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 06:27:46PM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> >  1. There is nothing in /usr/bin - so I have no idea what to call and
> >     there is also no explanation in README.Debian which might help the
> >     user
> >

> >From the GTM point of view, this was to be expected.
>
> I think this is due to the way in which GTM has traditionally
> been organized.
>
> Bhaskar, Amul, please correct me if I'm wrong...
>
> All the files are installed in /usr/lib/fis-gtm/VERSION
>
> Including executables.
>
> I'm not sure how difficult it would be to move the executables
> to /usr/bin, given that GTM scripts and executables already
> expect to find things in /usr/lib/fis-gtm.
>
> Bhaskar, Amul: could you please comment on this?

I would *not* move files around if users expect to be files organised
like this.  You should rather either symlink to some executable or write
a wrapper script that sets environment variables etc - whatever fits
better.  I also would like to remind:  Please do not let us running
circles about the ability to install different versions at the same
time.  This is our least problem for the future once we will have more
than one version packaged.  But for the moment we do not have a single
fid-gtm package in unstable and for the reason of simplicity we should
make the wrapper / link so brain dead simple that it just works.  Every
polishing could be done later.

In short:  The user should get something to call which just works.

> >  2. Lintian throws 267 runtime errors saying things like
> >
> > /bin/tar: ./usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/utf8/_D.m: Cannot open: Permission denied
> > /bin/tar: ./usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/utf8/_PATCODE.m: Cannot open: Permission denied
> > /bin/tar: ./usr/lib/fis-gtm/V5.5-000_x86_64/utf8/_GSE.m: Cannot open: Permission denied
> >

> mm, I'll have to track this tomorrow morning.
> We were getting some Lintian warnings, but
> they were not as many as 267. I'll run a fresh
> build and will report back tomorrow.

To make my observation clear:  Lintian does not issue a single warning
from normal operation - it just fails to operate at all because of some
permission trouble when calling tar.

> >     IMHO this sucks and will probably result in a rejection because
> >     lintian is run to seek for policy errors and if lintian throws
> >     runtime errors something is probably so broken that ftpmaster
> >     not consider looking at it.
> >

> Agree.
>
> BTW, How about lintian warnings,
> would that also be a showstopper ?

No.  Warnings are as the name says warnings.  Also not all errors are
rejected (this is documented at some place).  However, currently it is
not even clear if there are errors or not because lintian can not even
operate on the package - that's before detecting any error.

Kind regards and thanks for working on this